God has enabled FPC Forney to have a ministry in our community for over 140 years. Our church was created by the merger of two congregations before the town of Brooklyn was renamed Forney. The Brooklyn Church of the Presbytery of Bacon of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church was organized in 1872. A second congregation, the Forney Presbyterian Church U.S. (Southern) began in 1883 and built a sanctuary on the intersection of Bois D’Arc and Brooks Street. Following the merger in 1919, the name was changed to First Presbyterian Church of Forney. A new red brick structure was dedicated on that same site in October, 1925, and the Church continued to be a vital part of the Forney community.
In 2006 the church moved into a new building in a new location on FM 1641, having purchased 10 acres near Henderson Elementary School. (The prior church building on Bois D’Arc was sold and is currently in use by another congregation.) Our current building is the first phase of a master plan that could eventually include a larger sanctuary and a separate community building. Our new location has opened up new ministry opportunities, including a labyrinth and community garden.
In 2018 the church became a founding partner and part-owner of FCM (Forney Community Ministries) in order to encourage groups to work collaboratively and to increase volunteer opportunities.